Thursday, July 9, 2009

Granite Tors

Recently I stepped down from my position as a packer/mover in order to attend a class and enjoy vacation. Sleeping in past 6:30 AM has been a pleasant transition. There also has been a significant shift in my responsibilities. I am now primarily responsible for making calls, doing dishes, getting the mail, stopping by places to pick things up, and, strangely enough, blogging. I am still unsure about how much people care about what I am thinking at any given point in the day but I am fairly sure people like pictures.

Granite Tors

On July 4th, Julia and I wandered about 40 miles from home, parked, and ran/hiked a 15 mile trail. We had a lot of fun. It looked a lot like this:












































In the background it is possible to see large granite formations that remain at the top of many of the hills after softer rock around the granite has weathered and eroded.

Up close it looks like this:





























































Towards the end of the hike, when we looked toward the trailhead, it looked like this:

Then the wind blew and the rain came down for a while. Some hail also made its way to us for a spell. Julia is a wonderful hiking partner. We laughed and ran for about 4 1/2 miles. Eventually we made it to the trailhead, as soaked as either of us could remember from a hiking trip. I was a soggy bottom boy.

Very pleasant trip.

Also, there is plenty of time for reflection when 8-5 is not largely focused toward gainful employment. Here are two things that have helped me to understand a little bit better that joy and happiness in a Christian's life, or some would describe it as sustaining, true, and lasting joy and happiness, comes primarily from perceiving the glory and worth of God rather than from experiencing positive circumstances, though circumstances can certianly contribute to seeing the glory and worth of God.

Joy in purpose. Thanks Mom.
Strange response.

3 comments:

  1. Oh it looks like it was a great hike. I am so happy that you were both able to get out and enjoy yet another hike in your hiking the interior book! Joel enjoy our days of focusing on other things than strange peoples' things. Hope camp is going well for Julia. Julia you should post the lyrics to your camp Habitat song!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I care. Also, when you write really entertaining and/or thought-provoking stuff, I pay attention.

    I will point out that the "soggy bottom boy" line was a highlight. You're funny!

    Last fall we hiked down a mountain in the rain for something like 3 hours. I was a soggy EVERYTHING person. Not as catchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stepped down from my position as a packer/mover in order to attend a class and enjoy vacation. Sleeping in past 6:30 AM has been a pleasant transition. There also has been a significant shift in my responsibilities. I am now primarily responsible for making calls, doing dishes, getting the mail, stopping by places to pick things up, and, strangely enough, blogging.
    Packers Movers

    ReplyDelete