Saturday, July 11, 2009

connected by a stone

Joel and I biked to the grocery store after church this evening. While packing our foods in our backpacks I noticed and woman running to her husband, who was behind us in line, to hand him an item that she wanted him to purchase. I noticed on her finger there was a Petoskey stone set in a ring. I quickly asked, "are you from Michigan?" She looked at me and said "yes". I smiled and said so are we. "She said, I'm from the northern part of the Lower Peninsula". Joel might not agree with me but in a nice way her tone kind of sounded like she couldn't believe we'd be as lucky to be from the northern part also. I said "yeah, we're from Traverse City", she said "hmm I'm from Charlevoix, what a small world". And that was that. I loved it! I love knowing that Michigan is unique and that we can be connected to our home even 4,000 miles away by wearing a unique geological treasure! 

 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petoskey_stone
This was interesting. I didn't know all of the history. 
Maybe Joel and I will name one of our kids Petosegay, but it's not likely. 

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm not sure that I care about what you two are thinking at any given moment, but I sure do enjoy your blogs. They keep us in touch in a much different way than email, or phone calls - plus they are entertaining - and, of course, offer photos of what's going on in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't name your child Petosegay. That would be traumatic for...well, everyone.

    I love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think naming your child Petosegay would be GREAT. I always wanted to name kids chert, my favorite metamorphic rock and Orion, for all my days working a planetarium:-)

    ReplyDelete