Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Marathon of a Year

The Oosik!

This weekend Joel and I are headed to Talkeetna, AK to race in the Oosik classic 50km ski race. For those of you who aren't familiar with ski races the 50 km distances is considered a "marathon" for skiing.  The Oosik is considered the funnest ski marathon in AK with the best awards ceremony and after party. We'll find out if this is true this weekend. 

As I headed to Freddy's, the store that has everything (groceries included), I thought back on the races that were completed by the Coulter clan and its counterparts (Pierson and Aas') in 2010 and the beginning of 2011. I came to the conclusion that we are a pretty accomplished family in terms of marathon races. Here are some highlights:

February 2010: Mom and Dad  and Melzar ski in the Vasa and or White Pine Stampede either 25 or 50km
Spring 2010: My first ever 50 km, Anchorage AK
September 2010: Julia runs a relay leg of the Equinox Marathon 
October 2010: Anna and Harald kick butt in the Oslo marathon ( the week before getting married and running away together)*
October 2010: Nina runs the Chicago marathon (with a personal record)*
January 2011: Anna skis in a 70km race (I think?)
February 2011: Mom and Dad and Melzar ski in the 25 or 50km white pine and vasa
March 2011: Aurelia skis in the Norwegian Biriki (she's not part of the family, but one of my best friends...)
March 2011: Joel and I race in the Oosik in Talkeetna, AK (hopefully.....)

* Nina and Anna and Harald have run many other races probably half marathons included, but they do so many I can't keep track. 

For my Christmas present Harald signed Joel and I up for the Oosik. Signing each other up for races is becoming a tradition in our family.  Its a great way to make sure we're all staying in shape and it allows for one more reason to travel local and distant destinations. Joel and I have never sent time in Talkeetna, but I hear the views of Denali are spectacular. We are looking forward to partly cloud with temps in the mid 20's to 30's. Sounds like a great place and day to race. 

Thanks for the Christmas present Harald, I'll try to give you some photo updates when we're back in Fairbanks.


1 comment: